Sunday, May 27, 2007

THELMA AND LOUISE




WED 22nd May
Thelma and Louise

Or should I say Julie and Joanna. We are off to Kings Canyon for the night which from here is about a 3.5 hour drive. Voyages owns this resort also and as staff we receive discounts on accommodation. Leaving at about 9.30am on a perfect day of about 25 degrees the sun is shining and we are singing along to all my mixed music ranging from Racey (yes I know its tragic) to Queen and of course some pop stuff. Our first stop for brunch is Kings Creek Station which is about 40km from the Resort where we were staying and about the same to the Canyon. This is a great spot and the food and coffee is great. Whilst here we saw this old car pull in with a caravan. Now I passed this car quite a while ago back on the highway and it was going rather slow. Jo and I both looked at each other thinking the same thing. Struth that old heap of shit towing a caravan which looked just as old in the middle of Australia and we both had a good laugh. Anyway we knew that they would be pulling in here for a break and when the old couple got out of the car everyone that was there wanted to get a closer look at this thing. When I had the opportunity I found out that it was a 1959 ford. The couple had travelled from Queensland down the coast to Sydney and then to Melbourne and then up to here. This thing was original and only had one coat of paint since production which he did himself. Ok we were impressed that this thing had come all that way. Check out the photo attached.
Moving on we arrived at the resort just after lunch, checked in to our (get this) deluxe spa suite before heading out to the Canyon for the 3 hour plus walk. The first part of the walk is a steep climb which is quite taxing but it gets easier. It was about 2pm when we started the walk and because we were stopping and starting for me to get some images we did not get back to the car until just on dark. We spent quite a while in a spot called the Garden of Eden which is a huge waterhole surrounded by ferns and Ghost gums and a duck. Yes one duck lives in the waterhole and comes out when it sees food and he is very fussy about what he eats. I took a few lovely shots down here as the light was beautiful when we arrived. Check out the website for these. Anyway the good part about it was there was hardly anyone around and we had the place all to ourselves. We stopped and started from here and when we got to the other side of the rim we waited for sunset before walking back.

When we arrived back at the resort and it was dark and we were both looking forward to a shower and later a spa. I was first in the shower and quickly realised there was no hot water. I had a quick wash and got out thinking I wouldn’t say anything and let Jo think that everything was OK and let her jump in, but I couldn’t do it and told her the bad news. She rang reception but nobody came and I had my cranky pants on because I thought we wouldn’t be having a spa either as that was luke warm water. About 9pm Jo decided to check the water to the spa and she said it was hot. I thought she was playing a sick joke on me but she wasn’t so we ran the spa and got in not realising the damn thing was heated anyway and we almost roasted ourselves. I was sweating like a pig but wasn’t getting out. We ran cold water twice but it kept right on heating up until Jo’s little face was like a beetroot and ready to explode and she had to get out. By this time we had downed a bottle of wine and I was feeling very relaxed and was determined to stay put. I think I lasted about another half an hour before I had to get out as well. I think we were both that hot that we couldn’t sleep and tossed all night. It was a good day and a fun night. The next morning the hot water decided to work again and made us look like complete morons. We decided to go to Carmichaels Restaurant for a buffet breakfast. Oh lovely darling just fabulous!!! But before this made a cup of tea and went for a walk up to the lookout. A great start to the day before heading back here to Yalara. Now how much do you think we paid for the room (check out the photos) and breakfast keeping in mind that one of these rooms goes for $400 a night??? $200 maybe $250. We paid $70 for the room for both of us. Yep $35 bucks each and then breakfast was $20 each. How cheap is that for 2 days away. We split the petrol cost also which was $140 all up as the price of fuel at the moment is $1.70 a litre.

No comments: