Tuesday, May 1, 2007

OODNADATTA TRACK


23 April
Oodnadatta Track

A little apprehensive about this trip I head off. My first stop Is Erldunda road house on the corner of Lassiter and Stuart Highways. I stop here for my first break and find a great little mud map from the Oodnadatta road house about the area that I was going into and this had a phone number on it to ring for road conditions. I made my way to the phone box to make a call. Adam was really helpful and gave all the info I needed on tyre pressure for my car and road conditions and different ways that were available for me to travel. I quickly became confident that I would be fine. After changing my tyre pressure I was away and ready to hit the dirt. I decided I was going to go via the Painted desert road which leaves the Stuart highway at the Cadney Road house to Oodnadatta and then on to William Creek out to Lake Eyre. I had no idea what to expect from this trip and was pleasantly surprised by what I encountered.

This country continually changes and the colours are amazing. The dirt road is great and is continually graded so you can drive at reasonable speed. I was sitting on about 90km per hour but there were stretches that I was doing 100 once I became confident and there were also stretches that I was doing around 70 but overall the roads were fantastic. Over half my journey was in the dirt. I covered 2,223km in 6 days.

I drove all day leaving Yalara at just after 7am and arrived at the Painted Desert at about 4ish, this was my overnight stay and it was spectacular. I met a lovely retired couple David and Bev that were staying here overnight also. They travel 9 months of the year with there 3 dogs and an off road caravan that is fully set up for the most remote areas which is where they like to travel.

No comments: