
27th April
Time to start heading back to Yalara. I decided to go back the same way I went in and stay another night in the Painted desert. When I arrived back here it was blowing a gale and continued all afternoon. The weather was looking very ordinary and all I could do is pray for good evening light. I had another visit from the pair of dingos and got a few more shots of them. About 5pm I headed to the spot I wanted to photograph thinking it was a complete waste time. I parked the car and started to walk all the while trying to cope with gale force winds. As I set up right on a ridge line the wind was howling and that strong I was worried about my tripod taking off with my camera on board. I had to hold on to it. Next problem was the shutter speed of the camera. I needed to increase it due to the wind even the tripod was moving. I adjusted the ISO to 400 and compromised the Aperture so as to be able to increase the shutter speed. What a bloody night mare. The light was crap. I stayed for about 30 min and decided I was over it. I started on down the hill back toward the car and decided to wait it out a bit longer. While I was having a look around the area at the base of the hill the light started to change and it was amazing. From where I was I quickly got a couple of shots and then I had to bolt back up the hill to the ridge before I lost the colour in the sky. Again I had the wind to contend with and was worried my shots were not going to be sharp enough as the sun was well and truly down and I was getting the after glow. I got a few shots here and then bolted across the ridge line to another spot I had seen earlier and got a couple more images before it was all over… I could not believe how the light changed and was grateful that I was patient and didn’t go back to my campsite. Above is a shot of Copper Hills and the dirt road that i travelled through.
Time to start heading back to Yalara. I decided to go back the same way I went in and stay another night in the Painted desert. When I arrived back here it was blowing a gale and continued all afternoon. The weather was looking very ordinary and all I could do is pray for good evening light. I had another visit from the pair of dingos and got a few more shots of them. About 5pm I headed to the spot I wanted to photograph thinking it was a complete waste time. I parked the car and started to walk all the while trying to cope with gale force winds. As I set up right on a ridge line the wind was howling and that strong I was worried about my tripod taking off with my camera on board. I had to hold on to it. Next problem was the shutter speed of the camera. I needed to increase it due to the wind even the tripod was moving. I adjusted the ISO to 400 and compromised the Aperture so as to be able to increase the shutter speed. What a bloody night mare. The light was crap. I stayed for about 30 min and decided I was over it. I started on down the hill back toward the car and decided to wait it out a bit longer. While I was having a look around the area at the base of the hill the light started to change and it was amazing. From where I was I quickly got a couple of shots and then I had to bolt back up the hill to the ridge before I lost the colour in the sky. Again I had the wind to contend with and was worried my shots were not going to be sharp enough as the sun was well and truly down and I was getting the after glow. I got a few shots here and then bolted across the ridge line to another spot I had seen earlier and got a couple more images before it was all over… I could not believe how the light changed and was grateful that I was patient and didn’t go back to my campsite. Above is a shot of Copper Hills and the dirt road that i travelled through.
No comments:
Post a Comment