Tuesday, May 1, 2007

PAINTED DESERT


24th April

Painted Desert
The next morning I was up before sunrise and already had my morning shoot location chosen. It was a beautiful morning and the light that unfolded was amazing. Needless to say I got some kick arse shots, but the highlight was my encounter with a pair of dingos.
As I was concentrating on photographing the landscape I had walked a fair way into the hills and happened to look around to find a very curious dingo standing about 10 feet away from me. I was so excited as I have been wanting to photograph these dogs in the wild for months and wondered if the opportunity would ever present itself. This was it and I quickly changed lenses and camera settings so I could start shooting. I then noticed another dog over the hill that was a lot more timid. As I started photographing the one that was closest to me he began to play running around and dropping down on his front legs and then darting back and forth and growling at me. I was staying quite still and just following with the camera. I was trying to capture a shot of both of them together and found this really hard as the other dog was circling continually. I managed to grab a couple of them together but I think the best shots are of the one very playful and curious one which I am guessing was a young dog from his actions. They stayed around for about 20 minutes before trotting off over the hills. I was so elated and could not believe my luck. I continued taking a few more images and then headed back to the car to pack up my things for the next leg of the trip. Before leaving I had some breakfast with Bev and David and told them about the Dingos which they unfortunately didn’t see. Before heading off we exchanged details to keep in touch and I was off to William Creek via Oodnadatta at about 10.30am. Once at Oodnadatta I filled up with fuel and had a rest there before heading to William Creek 200km away along the Oodnadatta track which follows the Old Ghan rail line. There is plenty to see along this stretch of road and it took me the better part of the afternoon to get to William Creek. There are lots of old ruins to see and a waterhole in the middle of no where. History everywhere and the country changes constantly. I arrived at William Creek at about 3.30pm. One pub and a cafĂ© that does great meals and great cappuccinos’. Craig is the coffee expert out there. I would like to say thankyou to Craig for the great coffee and hospitality. It’s the small things that can make a trip like this even more enjoyable. Craig is from the far South Coast of NSW and comes out here to work as he loves the area and has a passion for photography also. The was only one drawback so far and this was the BLOODY FLIES. They are unbelievably bad out here. Twice as bad as Yalara Herman!!! After having a chat with Craig upon arrival I decided I was going to head out to the Strangway Ruins for the evening and the following morning before continuing on to lake Eyre south.

No comments: