Tuesday, May 1, 2007

SUNRISE ON LAKE EYRE



26th April
Sunrise on Lake Eyre

I set off early down to the lake and started to walk out hoping I might come to water, about half a km out I realized it wasn’t going to happen as my feet sunk deeper and deeper into the mud. The sun was starting to rise by this time and it was magical. In every direction there was lake and there was colour in the sky. It was a pastel palette in every direction. I had about 2 hours before it finished and started drizzling and by that time I was back at the car ready to leave. It was beautiful and worth the 140km of hell highway to get there.
I arrived Back at William Creek well before lunch and just hung out at the café deciding what I was doing next. Whilst there I met Sue and Peter who were waiting to get picked up for a 4 day camel treck. Peter also has a keen interest in Photography so we all were got talking about lots of different things. Sue was looking through some history of the area and came across the story of a woman that perished out at the North Lake were I had just been and passed the memorial. She read the story out loud to us and it was really unbelievable.
This is a short version:
2 People drove in to Lake Eyre North and came across a body. They proceeded to head back out to notify the police from William Creek. When the police went out to find the body they also found bottles of water beside it. Not knowing what had happened to her they proceeded to travel all the way in to the camp ground roughly another 40km. Upon arrival they saw a Britz camper van bogged in the sand. In the camper was a man alive but some what dazed. The police confirmed that he was travelling with his girl friend and they bogged the vehicle and decided to walk out for help. They started to walk and for some reason he decided to head back to the car and she kept going. This was in December and it was as hot as hell and although she had plenty of water there is no shade out there and she would have perished from the heat. He did the right thing going back to the car as it saved his life. The sad part about this story is the camper was a 4 wheel drive but when the police took a look at the vehicle and freed it was in 2 wheel drive and that is why it got stuck. The 2 German tourists had no idea how to put it in 4 wheel drive and just assumed it was already in 4 wheel drive. It took the police all of 15 minutes to get the vehicle out of the sand. The moral of the story never leave your vehicle.

We discussed the way the story played out between them and concluded that when they decided to walk out to find help they were probably fighting about what had happened. It was very hot and they were both stressed probably one blaming the other for the situation they were in. It got more and more heated as they walked until he decided he was going back to the car and probably tried to get her to turn around also but she was angry and pig headed and told him to go take a flying leap and kept walking out of anger to her death. What do you think??


Lake Eyre from the air

A little bit later another couple walked in and asked if any of us were interested in taking a flight over lake Eyre. I was thinking about doing a flight anyway so I decided to go up with them as it was cheaper with 3 of us. The hour flight was amazing and the pilot took the door off for me so I could photograph freely. It was a little scary without the door but even more scary was when I stuck my hand out a little to far and the wind caught it and freaked me out. The lake is huge massive and you could see where it was filled with water from the air. It was very shallow but the lake is still filling. There are 3 main arteries from which this lake gets its water supply.

No comments: