

25th April
Strangway Ruins and the bloody flies
The morning light was very ordinary and so were the flies. I managed to get a few shots. This was a really interesting spot, but most of the buildings had collapsed leaving only a couple left to have a look at. Not only was I having trouble with the flies getting in my shots I got attacked by sand flies last night as there is a spring somewhere in the area. My arms are covered in bites and I have a few on my neck where they managed to get past my fly net.
On to Lake Eyre but there are many things to see on the way including a hot spring in the middle of nowhere. On arrival at the lake I decided to go for a walk right on to it. I took my camera gear with me and started walking out. Its amazing and under the thin crust of salt there is thick gooey black mud and you sink into it. Its really hard to walk on the surface and your shoes get trashed. I took a few shots out here and then headed back to William Creek as this is as far as I was going and I had already clocked up over 1000km.
Once back at the Creek I had a well earned shower and relaxed for a while. It was about 4 by this time and I was debating what to do next. I decided to go into the North Lake as well. Now this track was 70km of remote rough track and I would not get into the camp ground until well after dark. I left about 5.30pm and arrived at the North Lake at 7.30pm. This road is rough as guts with lots of corrugation. No chance of falling asleep on this hell highway. About 30km in I passed a memorial to a woman and wondered what had happened. All the way in I was saying to myself this better be worth it over and over. Starving upon arrival at the main camp area Halligan Bay I made something to eat and sat and ate under the stars listening to deadly silence.
Strangway Ruins and the bloody flies
The morning light was very ordinary and so were the flies. I managed to get a few shots. This was a really interesting spot, but most of the buildings had collapsed leaving only a couple left to have a look at. Not only was I having trouble with the flies getting in my shots I got attacked by sand flies last night as there is a spring somewhere in the area. My arms are covered in bites and I have a few on my neck where they managed to get past my fly net.
On to Lake Eyre but there are many things to see on the way including a hot spring in the middle of nowhere. On arrival at the lake I decided to go for a walk right on to it. I took my camera gear with me and started walking out. Its amazing and under the thin crust of salt there is thick gooey black mud and you sink into it. Its really hard to walk on the surface and your shoes get trashed. I took a few shots out here and then headed back to William Creek as this is as far as I was going and I had already clocked up over 1000km.
Once back at the Creek I had a well earned shower and relaxed for a while. It was about 4 by this time and I was debating what to do next. I decided to go into the North Lake as well. Now this track was 70km of remote rough track and I would not get into the camp ground until well after dark. I left about 5.30pm and arrived at the North Lake at 7.30pm. This road is rough as guts with lots of corrugation. No chance of falling asleep on this hell highway. About 30km in I passed a memorial to a woman and wondered what had happened. All the way in I was saying to myself this better be worth it over and over. Starving upon arrival at the main camp area Halligan Bay I made something to eat and sat and ate under the stars listening to deadly silence.
No comments:
Post a Comment