Tuesday, May 1, 2007

RAIN ON THE ROCK



1st May

Rain on the Rock

With a couple of days leeway before having to go back to work I have a lot of work to do and have been sorting out all my new shots and cleaning all my gear from the trip. After getting up to a beautiful sunrise it became very grey and started to rain. I waited for about an hour and realised this was my opportunity to go out to the rock to see the waterfalls. I didn’t think I was going to have another opportunity to see this before I left when I missed the first rainy day. It was raining solidly for a couple of hours when I set off. Arriving about 11.30am it was amazing site to see. I spent 4 hours out there today and got some great shots right around the rock. I got soaked through and trying to keep my camera dry was a night mare. I had an umbrella which I lost in the wind and had to bolt after it through the Spinifex to try and catch it. There were very strong gusts of wind and constant rain and spray coming from the main waterfall which was massive. I was having problems with rain drops on the lens and constantly had to wipe it after every shot. I decided to ditch the tripod as it was making my life to hard. I almost fell into a pool of water getting a shot which I realised when I took a closer look it was about a metre deep. This is normally bone dry. What a fantastic experience this was. I took the time to put the camera down and really enjoy the spectacle of what was happening. Check the website for all the images.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great to hear from you and sorry to hear you had so much trouble with your site. Well if its any consolation it is excellent now. I think I looked at every picture and am still amazed at just how good you are as a photographer. Spectacular! Congratulations on some of the best photographs I have ever seen - and believe me I have seen a bloody lot with brother being the photographer he was. The rain on the rock was worth it and shot 1329 on your website "Rain on the Rock" should be sent to John Williamson the singer for a publicity shot for his song "Raining on the Rock" - its been around a while but is still popular. He would have loved it as a cover shot.

Julie Fletcher said...

Whats his email address???