Sunday, June 17, 2007

A PLACE TO CALL HOME




A PLACE TO CALL HOME

Gee its hard to get accommodation here and if you can you pay through the nose for it. After arriving I tried on caravan park called the Ivanhoe which was packed in like a sardine tin and the camp ground was very ordinary. The view was a fenceline on to a main road which had road trains coming past every so often and about 11pm the sprinkler system started up. I sat bolt upright in the tent thinking I was going have a second shower but after inspecting what the hell was going on I realised they were on the other side of the fence. I could not sleep with them going and so waited patiently until they stopped about half an hour later. I just started to get back to sleep when blow me down with a feather another lot of sprinkers fired up. You have got to be kidding me and these were the real noisy ones you know the kind that sound like they have a motor running them. Not only that but when they arrived around to fence line and came across the steel posts they made a hell of a racket. I had to wait another another half an hour before they stopped. By this time I was wide a wake and over it. I did manage to get back to sleep eventually but then you guessed it I was woken up by a pair of drunken yobbos who were camped just over from me at 2am in the morning. They could not have cared less about anyone else in the park and the noise continued for about 45 minutes before they shut up. By this time I was ready to kill and so by the morning sleep deprived and agro I saw one the morons that woke me and I had a go at him for being so inconsiderate. He told me to go Fcuk myself and said that they were going to be noisy tonight and every other night so get used to it. They were ferel, arrogant rude pricks. I had already decided I was leaving and just packed my stuff up and went to the office and complained and ask for a refund as I had already paid for the next night as well.

Now I had to fine another park and decided to go the the tourist info centre and get a list of parks and prices. I found one that seemed to suit the price range and drove over for a look. Kimberleyland Caravan Park right on the Ord River. I went over to the camp ground and had a gieser and decided this was going to be home for now. I befriended the groundsman immediately and he said if I have any trouble at all to let him know and he would sort it out for me. I chose a spot well away from everyone else and overlooking the water under a big old tree and boy it’s just lovely here. This will be home for me indefinitely as rent is so high here if you can even find a place to stay. I never thought I would be camping like this for a long period but I have no choice at the moment. The good thing is that’s its cheap and I have kitchen facilities with a fridge, toaster, hotplates, barbecue plate and so can store food and cook. It’s a bit rough but OK. From the photos I have attached you can see the view I have from my tent one is taken from the boat ramp, the other is of my tent site and the last one the big panorama is taken at the other boat ramp where all the tours leave from about a 2 minute walk out of the park and down the road.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You certainly have a lot of guts doing it this tough. Good on you not even i would be able to hack camping like this. i enjoy reading your adventures. You go girl.