Wednesday, June 6, 2007

KATHERINE GORGE





5TH JUNE
KATHERINE GORGE

There are some big walks through this area, I decided to do the short 3km walk when I arrived as it was getting to late to start anything else. It went up to a lookout overlooking the gorge. I decided I would do a bigger walk tomorrow and depending on how much its cost I might hire a canoe for half a day. I met a really nice lady up at the lookout and we got talking. She was staying in the camp groung also with her mother of 80 years old. They hired one of those big Britz campers and had just come from Kakadu and are heading to the same place as me. She invited me to have dinner with them. After dinner I went to grab my laptop out of the car to show her some of my work and I almost tripped over a wallaby in the dark that was raiding a bag of fruit and vegies I had accidently left outside. This little bugger hopped off with the bag in its mouth and would not drop it. I tried to run after it but the thing was that cunning I had no chance of retrieving my food. And I thought the possums were bad. I picked up a small rock well maybe medium sized and aimed for its backside ….bullseye but the thief still didn’t forget to pick up the bag before it bolted off into the bushes. This was not the last of this wallaby and about half an hour later when I was showing my images there was a knock on the door of the Britz from another camper who had seen this wallaby dragging off one of my large plastic food storage containers across the camp ground. The nerve of this thing and as bold as brass. Luckily it had not managed to get the tub open. Enough was enough and I put all my food on the roof of the car half expecting it to pull out a ladder and climb up there as well. Problem fixed.

No comments: