Monday, June 4, 2007

FEEDING THE BARRAMUNDI






FEEDING THE BARRAMUNDI
4TH June

I found about this last night and thought I would go and check it out. It was on at 9.30am and so headed over early so I could check things out and get a good spot. The large pond that apparently had the fish in it was full of lilys. Finally the fish feeder was walking over and by this time there was a group of us waiting patiently. He had some small fish that he was dangling in the water and waiting for the fish to come and take it. It took a while for the fish to take the bait but when it happened it was that fast you couldn’t really see anything accept the swell of the water. He asked for volunteers and I put my hand up but another guy decided he would be first and so I had to wait. The fish took a big chunk off his finger and I thought to myself that will teach you for pushing in. Now it was my turn I got in the water and then I got the full concept of what was about to happen.The barramundi were all lined up in a row right by my legs 7 of them and they looked like demons because their eyes were glowing yellow and their bodies were really dark. Struth they were big fish and I was a bit hesitant putting the bait in the water. The first time I put it down and saw one of them come to grab it I pulled my hand up and chickened out. The second time I got some dutch courage and left my hand down and this fish was that fast to take the bait it scared the hell out of me an I screamed and everyone was laughing including me. I was handed a second fish to have another go and the same thing happened again. All these fish were lined up ready to strike and when I lowered the bait to the water it was gone. Now they take your fingers as well and I have the scrape marks across my nail bed to prove it. It doesn’t really hurt but its scary. I have a few pictures that someone took for me which I will post in due course.

After the adrenaline rush the pace slowed down again and had a bit of look around the area and then headed for Katherine which is only an hour away from Mataranka. I will be here for a few days I think depending on what I find.

No comments: