Saturday, June 30, 2007

NOT A HAPPY CAMPER

20th June

NOT A HAPPY CAMPER

Yesterday it started raining and rained all day and rained heavily all night, my tent is under 2 inches of water and mud and I found out that this was the worst spot to be in the rain as there is a drain pipe close by and the water runs from one side of the gravel road over to my site…..just brilliant its gotta be a conspiracy….Bernie the groundsman came over at 7am to see if I was still there or been washed out into the Ord River. I was sludging around in the dirt trying to get organised to leave for the day to drier ground. A lady I met in the cafĂ© invited me to crash at her unit if I got stuck. Today I took her up on her offer and I will probably be staying here tonight as well as its going to take a couple of days for my site to dry out. Last night at the camp kitchen I met a tour group of 7 people having their dinner and we got talking. I ended up having desert and coffee with them all and hearing about were they had been and what had happened along the way. They had done the Gibb River Road from Broome and so I was interested to hear about what they had seen. They had had a great trip until now with a couple of hiccups they lost the trailer of the back of the bus and almost tipped over crossing the river into Mitchell Falls and because of the rain they now could not go into the Bungle Bungle as the road is now shut as is the Gibb River Road due to this freak rain. I stopped on the way out of the park this morning to see how their night went and it wasn’t good as their tents are not waterproof and they really got washed out and had to sleep in the bus. At least my tents waterproof I guess. They are all going to the pub for dinner tonight and so I invited myself along. Roger the tour guide really knows this area well so I should get some helpful info from him.

No comments: