Monday, June 4, 2007

MATARANKA

MATARANKA
3RD June
This is a nice little place and very popular because of the hot springs. I arrived here about 5.00pm that’s about 6 hours of driving. I drove down to one of the hot springs (Bitter Springs) to have a stroll and bumped into David and Bev lolling in the water. This was the couple I met in the painted desert a few weeks ago on the Oodnadatta track. I had a feeling I may catch up with them here as I knew they were heading here last week from their track notes that they email through regularly but there are 2 springs and for me to come to this exact spot where they were was weird. God it’s a small world. I camped in the same camp ground as them. They were going to have a meal at the Mataranka Resort hot spring that has a bistro and bar attached to it and invited me to come along. To tired to cook and after I had a shower and got organised I headed over there about 10km away. I ordered snitzel chips and salad yep all the food groups were covered salt, fat and preservatives….perfect!

On the way back to our camp ground I had to dodge lots of these little wallabys that are everywhere. I just missed one of the little fellas when he doubled back on me and came straight out in front of the car. I locked the brakes up to miss it and ended up with half the stuff in the back in the front. These guys wouldn’t do too much damage to the car but I didn’t want to kill or mame one. There’s hundreds of them out here.

No comments: