Saturday, March 31, 2007

Rain Rain Dont Go Away











March 28th
Rain Rain don’t go away

As the temperature drops dramatically it becomes dark and grey. As I headed out down Lassiters Highway toward the rock at about 5.30pm after work I can see in the distance 4 storm fronts and I was heading straight for one of them. Riding in the rain was refreshing but when I turned around after 10KM to head back to Yalara I encountered a cross wind that was so strong I couldn’t keep the bike in a straight line up the road. Im sure the cars that were passing me thought I must have had a few drinks. It made 10km feel like 20 and I was soaked by the time I arrived back.

The rain started early in the evening but not enough to warrant going out to the rock. It wasn’t until after it got dark that it started to pour and it didn’t stop all night. Typical!!! I set my alarm extra early for the next morning so I could assess whether it was worth driving to the rock at first light to photograph the elusive waterfalls. The rain had stopped in the early hours of the morning and I decided it was probably not going to be worth making the trip out before work. Apparently I was wrong I should have gone out as the water was flowing over the rock for about 10 minutes before it stopped completely. Not impressed that I had missed the opportunity I thought I had better go out and at least see the waterholes before they receeded. The next evening I went out to Mitijulu Waterhole. This is at the back of the rock and is a really pretty spot and the first time I had seen it. There was still a tiny amount of water coming down the rock and the pool was quite full but apparently it had also receeded quite a bit from the day before from what I was told from a tour guide that lives a couple of doors down from me. I managed to get a couple of nice shots in between all the tourists and the railings which seem to get in way of every shot I want to take in this area. There are ways around this though but I wont go into that. Check out the website for these images.

A few days earlier it was raining in Yalara so I headed out to the rock after I finished work to find it was only drizzling. The sun was breaking through every so often and this is prime weather for rainbows which I managed to capture. I was shooting from the top of my car over the heads of the other tourists snapping away.

No comments: