Saturday, March 3, 2007

The Good Old Days

Below is an email a friend of mine David. I thought it was a real eye opener as to how easy we have it these days and decided to post it for everyone to read. Hope you dont mind Dave....

Yes it sure does get hot out there. I lived in Alice for 6 months in my younger days (a bloody long time ago) and the NT is the only place I have ever got sunstroke. That was in the days of the old road trains and I off-sided on one for a while. No air conditioning then and the engine came back into the cab. There used to be 5 miles of bends out of Alice heading north in those days and the cab temp in the truck reached into the 50s very commonly. We would get through the bends out of Alice and then pull up on the side of the highway, light a fire and boil the billy for tea. Sure has changed up there. The truck was an old 'B' series Mack with 20 forward gears and 4 reverse with 2 gearsticks and I can tell you it was some sort of work getting through those bends with a prime mover and 3 trailers off the back hauling about 85 tons on goods north. We would sleep on top of the load sometimes - no sleeper cabs in those days. Glad I did it all when I was young. Look forward to getting back up into that country again before too long.

No comments: