Thursday, March 22, 2007

THE DAY AFTER


THE DAY AFTER

As I awake the morning after our big ride out to the rock my backside feels like its been through a blender. This was a 42km ride and although its all flat my backside was aching. I have lost a lot of fitness out here. I plan to ride regularly from now on as the wheather is becoming a lot cooler now.

I just cant wait to go back to work tomorrow as its always worse on the second day. No riding for me today!!! I also got burnt quite badly. Now I am normally very anal about putting sunscreen on but became a little complacent with it yesterday and am now paying for it.

We had a good day of riding and the Cultural Centre was really interesting and well worth a visit if your out this way. I learned about the handback of the Rock and land to the Aboriginal people, about how the people once found food and water and about the wildlife, there is a little wallaby which was on the verge of extinction called the Mala or the Rufus Hair Wallaby. They look a cross between a rat and a small wallaby. They have reintroduced them again to this area in a specially built enclosure so the feral cats and foxes cant kill them and they can roam freely and breed. The public do not have access to this area yet but National Parks hope to be able to eventually let tourists in to be able to see these timid creatures in the wild in the future.

Honey ants were another really interesting insect. They carry large sacs full of what looks like honey attached to their bodies. The aborigines have to dig down around 2 to 3 metres below the surface of the earth to find these little suckers. They then have to find the nest and then collect them very carefully so as to not break the sacs open as they eat the sweet nectar. Imagine all that work for maybe a mouthful of the sweet nectar that these ants carry between hundreds of them. It didn’t say anything about if they bite or not. I would assume they would if they had a chance too. Too much like hard work if you ask me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wont be long and you will be all brown and look like a local. Slip slop slap.