Friday, March 2, 2007

RAIN AT YALARA

2nd March 07

It was a long day today as you don’t finish until all the rooms are done and then if the other hotel need a hand or vice versa you go and help them until those rooms are finished. Pretty hard work but I think I will be right once I get used to the job and pick up a bit of speed. We had a storm pass over this afternoon and had some rain which was rather a novelty in 40 degree heat. Thunder and lightning for about an hour or so and then it passed. I was hoping it would stay around until after dark so I could go out to the rock to try and get some shots with lightning…alas it had well and truly passed by that time. i hope I get the opportunity to capture something like that before I move on to my next destination.

YALARA

This is a thriving metropolis in the middle of the desert…..can you believe while so many states are on water restrictions this place has NO water restrictions and it hardly gets any rain. What I really like about this place is they really care about the environment and that’s one of the reasons why there are so many restrictions where you can and cant go out here. There is no rubbish lying around anywhere and the staff gets involved in environment week when they have to spend a certain number of hours doing something for the environment which could be weeding or planting or just picking up rubbish. You get paid for this and everyone gets involved. They are big on recycling out here and although chemicals are still used they are supplied from a company in Sydney which produce cleaning products that are much less toxic than a lot of other companies.

No comments: