Wednesday, February 28, 2007

TRAIN WRECK


FEB 20
TRAIN WRECK

Up at first light I felt like a train wreck, soldiered on about 25 KM and definitely found the gorge I was looking for Ormiston Gorge. This spot is really lovely and has a great swimming hole not far from the car park and camp ground with a shop there for drinks and food as well. There are a couple of great walks you can do here but I just hung around the swimming hole and creek and got some great shots.

REDBANK GORGE

I just didn’t feel like a big hike today although I ended up hiking through to another gorge called red river gorge which is about 30 km further on than Ormiston. This is a dirt road for 25km and 5 of that is as rough as guts. Its well worth the trip though. Now I wanted to photograph this gorge and didn’t realise that the only access to the gorge area was by swimming. I sat and pondered how I was going to get in there with my camera for a while and then gave in thinking it was fruitless. I then started walking back over some of the roughest terrain back to the car and I had a brain storm. I had a garbage bag in my pack and there was an emergency bouy or rubber ring thingo hanging by the swimming hole. I thought I would test my idea out and turned back and grabbed to ring and stripped off down to my G String and bra ready for The Victoria Secret lingerie show (NOT) and jumped in and went for a float. I knew it would work and I could hold the camera covered in the bag in one hand and paddle with my feet and other arm to the gap of the gorge. Bloody brilliant but the light was crap and it would have to wait until morning. Happy that I could actually accomplish my mission I headed back to car about 40min walk and went back to another gorge called Glen Helen and grabbed a bite typed this up and went exploring. This area is great its full of different things to see and there all fairly close together. Check out the fish that were in the water everywhere they were only small about 4 or 5 inches long.

No comments: