Wednesday, February 7, 2007

In search of Cascade Hut




WEDNESDAY 7TH FEB

Cascade Hut is situated in the heart of Dead Horse Gap in the Kosciusko National Park. Access is by walking or mountain bike. I decided I was going to ride out with my cameras in my back pack. I checked with the local shop down here at Thredbo as to the conditions of the track and location of the hut. The guys at NRG where very helpful and I new I would be fine carrying my camera gear on the bike.
Problem 1. pack to heavy
Problem 2. Julie not fit enough
Problem 3. bloody huge climbs
Problem 4. blisters
Apparently this hut was about 11km out but I could have sworn it was 20km out. I had to walk half of the ride as my pack was just to heavy to climb those hills. One climb lasted about 4km. now because I had to walk so much I ended up with blisters on my heels as I am not used to walking in my bike shoes, so by the time I found this hut my feet were killing me. To add injury to insult the Hut which survived the recent bushfires in this area was covered in foil wrap and looked like it was ready to be baked in the oven. I assume that they are leaving it on until all the bushfires in the region are out completely as it looks like a big job to cover it as well as they have.

Not happy Jan!!!!

I just put myself through all that punishment for this. Just in case you were wondering they are using this technique for all the historic huts in the area to protect them from bushfire damage, it stops embers getting carried through the air and starting another fire.
Check out the shot of it I have attached.
Anyway needless to say I did not get my shots that I had planned and now I had to ride/walk back to my car.
I was also going to see some wild brumbies as this is were they reside. There was horse manure everywhere and hoof prints also but no sign of them.
Oh well you cant win them all…

2 comments:

Col said...

Hi Joolz - love your work, hope you have a great trip! If your'e ever in Canberra, pop into the Old Bus Depot Markets and say hi! Pity about Cascade Hut, but then there's not too many people with a photo of a gift wrapped hut!

Cheers,
Col Ellis.

Julie Fletcher said...

Thanks Col, yeah that was an bugger of day but one i wont forget in a hurry. Bus Depot markets hey, will do.