Sunday, February 18, 2007

ARRIVING IN THE RED CENTRE


KINGS CANYON 14th feb

I thought I would be the first one out there but these tour buses get in at the crack of dawn.
Kings Canyon is not as spectacular as I had expected it to be, all the same it is a great place for exploring and the colour in the rocks are amazing. I was about 45 degrees today as it has been for the last couple of days. I got a little stressed by the heat today. The heat is dry and you need to be finished any trekking by 9am as any time after this is just to hot and not fun to be in. After I finished this walk I was head to Uluru which is about a 200km drive.

ROCK HARD 15TH FEB

Yalara is the resort town in the dessert and uluru is about 20 km out from town. The Olgas are another 45km in a slightly different direction, but both can be seen and photographed at the same time if you know where to go. There are many restrictions out here. Yalara is a great place and has most things that you would need to survive and live quite happily in the desert. The rock is spectacular as are the Olgas. I have been staying at the campgroung in Yalara as this is the only place you are aloud to camp. I rode my mountain bike around the base of the rock and it is definitely worth a look.

FACTS AND INFO

1. AVERAGE TEMP 40DEGREES PLUS IN SUMMER
2. PETROL AROUND 1.50 A LITRE
3. FLIES FLIES AND MORE FLIES
4. BUY A NET $8.50 TO GO OVER YOUR HAT FOR THE FLIES YOU WILL NEED IT
5. YALARA RUNS FROM DIESEL GENERATORS
6. YALARA WATER SUPPLY IS UNDERGOUND BORE WATER
7. CLOSEST TOWN IS ALICE SPRINGS 400KM AWAY
8. ITS ABOUT 11KM AROUND THE BASE OF ULURU
9. CERTAIN AREAS CANNOT BE PHOTOGRAPHED
10. IF YOUR CAUGHT DOING THIS OU CAN HAVE YOUR CAMERA TAKEN FROM YOU PERMANANTLY AND RECEIVE A $50,000 FINE
11. YOU CAN STILL CLIMB THE ROCK

No comments: