Tuesday, November 13, 2007

PICKED UP IN STYLE


14th OCTOBER
PICKED UP IN STYLE

The ship pulled up at the jetty just after 10am. I was ready and waiting up at the house watching for it whilst sitting on the back veranda enjoying the view. It was a vision as it docked and then the captain stepped off to come and greet me. I sacheted down towards the water to meet him. He helped me board the mighty vessel allocating me a seat and then we were away heading up the river with our gourmet lunch and drinks to have a swim and lunch.

Ok now the real version of the story………….

The tinny pulled up at the jetty just after 10am. I was ready and waiting up at the house watching for it whilst sitting on the back veranda. I started to walk down to meet Craig alias “captain” as he likes to be known. We met halfway and walked down to the boat. I stepped onboard and almost capsized the bloody thing and he grabbed me so I didn’t fall over. Craig tried to start the motor but there was that much weed around the jetty it had clogged the propeller and so he had to use the oar to get out of the weed and then pull up the motor to remove all the reeds that were wrapped around the propeller whilst I sat back and watched supervising. Finally we were away heading up the river but it was blowing a bloody gale and the water was very choppy. I was sitting up the front of the boat and copping an absolute hammering as this tinny has a flat bottom and so is very uncomfortable in conditions like this. My backside turned to jelly and everything was bouncing and vibrating and I found cellulite I didn’t realise I had. As we got further up the river it became a little more insulated from the wind and the water was a lot calmer and the ride a hell of a lot smoother (thank god) and Craig the perfect host showed me a beautiful spot that he has camped at before and we stopped there for a while before heading off to a place further up the river which has a beautiful sandy beach area and is really popular on the weekends. We stopped here and had a swim and a drink before exploring a couple of other places and then heading back to the first spot that we went to for lunch. As the time started getting on we packed up everything and headed back to my place. Late afternoon is the best time to be out on the water as all the colours start to come through the rocky outcrops and surrounding mountains making everything glow with incredible warmth and comes alive.

No comments: