



FRIDAY 16TH
BROOME FROM MY PERSPECTIVE
Since I arrived here I have been out searching for locations to photograph something different not just cable beach, camels and palm trees. This area has some of the most spectacular coastline I have seen anywhere so far. It is very hot and humid here now topping 40 degrees and you can see the dampness in the air in the mornings and see the condensation dripping. I don’t go out walking until late afternoon and I have been riding my mountain bike almost every morning into tracks and areas tourists wouldn’t normally go. I started shooting on Wednesday night and went out again last night as I have not had any work for the last few days as it is so quiet with bookings. Not one to sit idle either I have also been job hunting and hope that something comes up soon but in the meantime it gives me time to get out and do what I love to do and that’s photograph the area.
I have chosen a very rugged and dangerous part of the coastline to concentrate on and have been searching for ways down to the bottom of the cliffs. These cliffs are sandstone and there are lots of loose rocks and gravel which is very easy to slip on. If you have a close look at some of the surrounding cliffs you can see the large cracks and see how fragile this area is which makes it unique and really beautiful. From the top you can see cave like structures and large pools of water at low tide. Keep in mind the tides are huge here. Last night I found a safe way down to the very bottom. The rocks near the water which at high tide would be well and truly under water have sharp barnacles and shells all over them and I had to be careful not to slip and fall on them as they as sharp as a knife. I slipped once and gashed my ankle and had a few choice words to say but I’ll live. The camera gear is always my main concern. I managed to get down to the water last night navigating huge boulders to get there. I set up in the water for most of the shots just on a large flat rock which with the right wave over it made it into a mini waterfall. As the sun came down the light just kept changing across the rocks closer to the water and the cliffs lit up. This is an amazing area and I am surprised I haven’t seen more photography of it anywhere here in town. These shots are taken near Riddell Beach. Check out the whole selection of images on my website in the Kimberley Gallery.
BROOME FROM MY PERSPECTIVE
Since I arrived here I have been out searching for locations to photograph something different not just cable beach, camels and palm trees. This area has some of the most spectacular coastline I have seen anywhere so far. It is very hot and humid here now topping 40 degrees and you can see the dampness in the air in the mornings and see the condensation dripping. I don’t go out walking until late afternoon and I have been riding my mountain bike almost every morning into tracks and areas tourists wouldn’t normally go. I started shooting on Wednesday night and went out again last night as I have not had any work for the last few days as it is so quiet with bookings. Not one to sit idle either I have also been job hunting and hope that something comes up soon but in the meantime it gives me time to get out and do what I love to do and that’s photograph the area.
I have chosen a very rugged and dangerous part of the coastline to concentrate on and have been searching for ways down to the bottom of the cliffs. These cliffs are sandstone and there are lots of loose rocks and gravel which is very easy to slip on. If you have a close look at some of the surrounding cliffs you can see the large cracks and see how fragile this area is which makes it unique and really beautiful. From the top you can see cave like structures and large pools of water at low tide. Keep in mind the tides are huge here. Last night I found a safe way down to the very bottom. The rocks near the water which at high tide would be well and truly under water have sharp barnacles and shells all over them and I had to be careful not to slip and fall on them as they as sharp as a knife. I slipped once and gashed my ankle and had a few choice words to say but I’ll live. The camera gear is always my main concern. I managed to get down to the water last night navigating huge boulders to get there. I set up in the water for most of the shots just on a large flat rock which with the right wave over it made it into a mini waterfall. As the sun came down the light just kept changing across the rocks closer to the water and the cliffs lit up. This is an amazing area and I am surprised I haven’t seen more photography of it anywhere here in town. These shots are taken near Riddell Beach. Check out the whole selection of images on my website in the Kimberley Gallery.
No comments:
Post a Comment