Tuesday, September 25, 2007

TIME TO LEAVE HOME VALLEY






24th September
Time to leave Home Valley

My time here at Home Valley is over and today I am heading back into town to a new adventure. I have had a good stay out here but the last couple of weeks have been taxing on me. Its getting very hot and humid as the build up begins to the wet season. I have met some great people out here and had the privilege to photograph a few of them also. I am happy and sad to be leaving because I have met some great people in a great part of Australia that I have had to say good bye to once again. I will miss Keith’s wicked and sharp sense of humour and Cyril’s antics and cheeky smile and of course quiet Dennis who once he has a couple of drinks becomes not so quiet Dennis and then there’s crazy Beth and Diesel with his stories of the land and how could I forget Dave Ryder my husband to be, well actually I think he has asked all the girls to marry him at some stage or another. I will miss his extra cheesy pick up lines and invites to go mud wrestling and although I have only known Janneke for a short time we have struck up a great friendship and had some fun together. There’s Peter Brandy the musician that comes out every week to sing and play guitar in the Dusty bar and is always ready with a joke and a smile and of course there’s Craig who lives in Kununurra but travels out to Home Valley every week for a day or 2 running the training programmes in Hospitality and Tourism for the indigenous trainees. From what I’ve seen he has his work cut out for him teaching these adults everything from basic math, English and computer skills to more advanced subjects. I have often watched him with the trainees and I can see that they respect him and like him as I do.
He has also been a good friend to me and on several occasions put me up when I have needed a place to stay in town. I remember the first time I went to his house and saw the spare room which looked like a hotel room the way the bed was made up perfectly with the towel folded neat and tidy at the end of it. It made me laugh and I suggested he should have my job in House keeping. He always give me lip and of course I give it straight back.

No comments: