




15TH SEPTEMBER
I DROVE A ROAD TRAIN
It was as hot as hell today I estimate close to 40 and the humidity has also started. If this is any indication what I’m in for in the next couple of months I better toughen up. A plan was in place to drive down to the Pentecost Crossing to do a bit more photography after work. The water level has dropped considerably from the last time I was photographing down there. I asked Jannika if she wanted to come along for the evening and she was keen and so we bought a bottle of wine and took it down with us. I set up my camera and she set up the booze and was taking a video of me wading through water at the crossing with a glass of wine in hand trying not to fall arse over when a road train came along. It started to cross the water and stopped when he arrived in front of me and the camera and the driver who’s name was Sam asked me if he had to say cheese. We started having a bit of chat and Sam seemed like a nice bloke. I told him I would love to have a drive and so he told me to jump in. I was so excited and Jannika was filming all of this although her little camera has seen better days and the video kept cutting out. There are 4 different videos of this sequence. I got in and after a quick lesson on how to release the break we were away. I felt like queen of the road in this thing and took her through the rest of the crossing with the air horn blowing and up the road to park. Only a short trip but it was fun. Sam came and had a drink and something to eat with us down at the water and was telling us he was heading up the Gibb another 200km to a cattle station to do some bull catching and then bringing the bulls back to Katherine. He invited us to go out and do some mustering with them. I would have loved to go. I don’t think my car would take the beating as the direction he was heading was toward Kalumburu and that road is as rough as. I may catch up with him in a few weeks when he is due back out this way again. It was dark by the time we left the crossing and dinner time back at the Valley so we high tailed back to get some grub and Sam continued on up the Gibb. VIDEO COMING SOON
I DROVE A ROAD TRAIN
It was as hot as hell today I estimate close to 40 and the humidity has also started. If this is any indication what I’m in for in the next couple of months I better toughen up. A plan was in place to drive down to the Pentecost Crossing to do a bit more photography after work. The water level has dropped considerably from the last time I was photographing down there. I asked Jannika if she wanted to come along for the evening and she was keen and so we bought a bottle of wine and took it down with us. I set up my camera and she set up the booze and was taking a video of me wading through water at the crossing with a glass of wine in hand trying not to fall arse over when a road train came along. It started to cross the water and stopped when he arrived in front of me and the camera and the driver who’s name was Sam asked me if he had to say cheese. We started having a bit of chat and Sam seemed like a nice bloke. I told him I would love to have a drive and so he told me to jump in. I was so excited and Jannika was filming all of this although her little camera has seen better days and the video kept cutting out. There are 4 different videos of this sequence. I got in and after a quick lesson on how to release the break we were away. I felt like queen of the road in this thing and took her through the rest of the crossing with the air horn blowing and up the road to park. Only a short trip but it was fun. Sam came and had a drink and something to eat with us down at the water and was telling us he was heading up the Gibb another 200km to a cattle station to do some bull catching and then bringing the bulls back to Katherine. He invited us to go out and do some mustering with them. I would have loved to go. I don’t think my car would take the beating as the direction he was heading was toward Kalumburu and that road is as rough as. I may catch up with him in a few weeks when he is due back out this way again. It was dark by the time we left the crossing and dinner time back at the Valley so we high tailed back to get some grub and Sam continued on up the Gibb. VIDEO COMING SOON
2 comments:
I hope this finds you and your friends well and fit (you must be fit by now ... right?).
I wish you well in whatever path you choose.
Stay safe. I saw a movie on TV the other night about the Kimberley Killer and it showed where he attacked some people camped on the Pentacost River and I couldn't help but think of you being up there. Don't worry he was killed many years ago... a German tourist that went crazy and armed himself to the teeth. Started in the NT and worked his way across the top.
On that awful note I will leave you.
More worried about the crocs Dave. I am getting fed far to well and not doing any exercise at the moment, i was just complaining to Beryl our cook that she needs to stop making desert as its going straight to my arse!!!
Post a Comment