3RD SEPTEMBER
PEER PRESSURE
Have you ever succumb to the pressure of people wanting you to do something you haven’t wanted to do??? I think we all have at different times of our lives but the pressure to drink is around constantly and is socially acceptable to the point that if you don’t drink you’re found to be abnormal. Why is this??? Are you abnormal if you don’t take drugs or smoke cigarettes....there all addictive drugs!!!! I am not a big drinker and don’t enjoy being pissed or having a hangover but I have never felt so pressured to drink as I have here at Home Valley. I guess I just don’t fit into what’s considered the socially accepted square which is drinking every night out here. You really cant sit around with a group of people that are getting drunk whilst sober for very long as it becomes tedious listening to the bullshit they talk when they have had to much and then the pressure they put on you to drink gets worse. I may have 1 or 2 drinks once or twice a week out here and that is more than I ever had in Sydney. My mother is an alcoholic and my father always drank far too much also and it caused a lot of issues. I have seen so much destruction from alcohol as a child and a teenager and even here now with some of the staff at Home Valley. I know that it has influenced me and the way I react to alcohol and drunks. I have often had the piss taken out of me because I won’t have a drink out here and prefer to have water or a cup of coffee. I have also often had people put pressure on me to have a drink when I don’t want one. I am a strong woman and not one to follow what other people do just to fit in and therefore I always seem to be on the outer. I have analysed this many times and I guess my personality which is one of being a quiet natured person and quite shy has a lot to do with this also. Oh well I don’t fit in but I’m a cheap date!
5 comments:
Hi Julz
I found what you said interesting and can understand what you are saying. I have spent my entire adult life as the designated driver. I dont mind a drink, I just dont generaly enjoy it.
People used to say be a man have a drink, i used to say are you man enough to ask for milk at the bar, no one ever did. Be your self and if it feels good do it other wise forget it.
My X is an Alcoholic, I still find it difficult to say, but I could never get into it. I often wonder if people just drink out of boredom.
I dont think your odd, you just have a different past time, Photography instead of drinking. I stopped trying to fit in a long long time ago. Went four wheel driving with the guys from the railways on the weekend and went through a whopping four stubbies over the weekend. And non of them were light. At least when I make a goose of my self its all me.
Stay cool and keep enjoying life, what ever that is for you.
Take care
Its bloody hard being different, your either respected or an outcast.
to add to that i wouldnt have it any other way.
I read with interest your blog on Peer Pressure and I fully understand
your thoughts.
I also have had to run the gauntlet of temptation from people who"s one
minded thinking is that if you dont have an alcoholic beverage in your
hand
then you are an alien with two heads.
What I must add is that the people that I consider close to me are very
supportive and understand where I am at.
Never change who you are or what you believe. I know you and you are never
all that far off the mark.
Take care you are one in a million Julie Fletcher.
Thanks Dallas and I will always wish nothing but the best for you. Stay strong OK....
Post a Comment