Thursday, February 14, 2008

MORE WEBSITE PROBLEMS

24 JAN
More website problems

The night mare continues for me with my website. I have recently had to change hosts as I have had nothing but problems starting way back in March 07 when I had to reload my whole site due to the mismanagement of my site by Smarty Host and no back up site. Since then I have had nothing but issues with this company. Off the top of my head I have had loading problems on several occasions as I manage my own site I am always loading images and changing things around. I have had speed problems with the site in general. The most recent was a virus which destroyed my home page and slowed the site down even more as the site is just not secure enough. That was it I have had enough and although I have paid for another years hosting I didn’t care and just wanted out as this company just could not give a toss about its customers and passes the buck at every opportunity.
I was recommended another host in December and was quick to have them take over and fix up all the problems for me. For the first time in a year the site was running perfectly UNTIL………………….

I went into the site to load some images and it was gone!!!!
I was that pissed off that I had not been informed of any problems and had no idea what was going on but knew it had to be bad. I emailed the host to see what the go was and received back an email 2 days later saying that the hard drive had been destroyed.

I felt sick to my stomach as I though I was going to have to reload every image yet again. I was very annoyed at my new host as I still did not know where this left me and what had caused the problem and a time frame for fixing the problem. I left it alone for a few days and then I went back in and had a look at my site and found it was back on line with major issues. I had not heard anything from the host about what the hell was happening and I was ready to kill someone. I decided to call Ron who designed my site and recommended the new host to me. He knew exactly what was going on as he had his site hosted through the same company. He explained the situation and said that he had an old backup of my site which could be put back online and all I would have to do was update again.
Apparently a lighting strike had caused a problem with the main hard drive and the next day when the system automatically backed up the site it backed it up with the corrupted version caused by the lightning strike. The strike best described was kinda like a perfect filing system with all the categories in place that got tipped out and messed up and put back in all the wrong places. That was my site the big mess corrupted files pages missing and the home page stuffed. It took a few more days before it came back online and all was well. I just had to go and change a couple of thinks and reload a few of the newer images in the Kimberley Gallery. How long will this last for ??? What a night mare!!!

No comments: