
FEB 20TH
SHOOTING SUNSETS
Strong foreground interest is usually an essential compositional element in landscapes and especially sunset photographs. Failing to include foreground interest can mean vast empty areas of the frame in which the eye is lead aimlessly about looking for something to keep it interested. Foreground interest can vary from people to rocks or trees anything really.
It is for this reason that sunset images usually fail as truly dynamic images. Photographers need to be careful that they create art and not just copy it. Raising the camera to the eye and photographing the colourful sunset sky is hardly original and in fact it is generally really boring. It would be similar to photographing a painting and calling it your own. A sunset in itself is already a beautiful artwork and therefore little credit goes to the unimaginative photographer who simply takes a snap. The sunset therefore needs to work as a back drop to another perhaps even more dominant element within the frame such as a person a boat, rocks a building or anything that gives the image a slightly less cliché reason to exist.
Leading lines are also effective in making an image more interesting to the viewer. They can be found in rock formations, jetties, rivers, and other objects. You just need to use your imagination and get a little creative. These things can be used to lead the eye from the corner of the frame through the frame or to the subject. It helps create depth which is important not only in sunset images but in any landscape images in general. So next time you go to snap that sunset think about it first and try and include some other interest in the foreground to make an ordinary image into and extraordinary one.
SPECIAL EMAILS FROM FANS
Quite often I receive emails from people praising my work and sometimes asking me for advice which is really nice. I have had many since I got my website online but have only kept a couple which I just found in a folder. Here they are……….The very first email I ever received praising my work was from a guy named Kim who I have never met but now we keep in touch via email and have struck up a great friend ship. He is a pilot and occasionally sends me pics he has taken from the air.
Hi Julie, My name is Annie; a 15 year old wanna-be photography and I just want to tell you that you have inspired me! I love your work!! I scoured through the whole 'Australian Photography' Magazine trying to find the name of the photographer of the cover... only to find it on the second page this morning!! (September edition) I really love that photo!! Anyway - stop reading this and go outside with your camera! - Annie :D
Hi Julie,
Just wanted to send you a quick email letting you know I think you are an amazing photographer. Being a 32 year old high school teacher im not usually in the business of fan mail but your images are the best I have seen.
As a budding photographer I look at your pics and think "now how can I do that?". The only other photographer i've found myself asking the same questions about has been Steve Mc Curry.
Im definately interested in getting involved in one of your courses when you get them started up. I'll keep an eye on your website for dates etc.
Thanks dude, blew the better part of a Friday afternoon at school on your Photo stream. Stumbled across an image whilst checking out what was tagged 'Omeo'. Work was soon a unpleasant memory, fantastic images and processing you have inspired me.
SHOOTING SUNSETS
Strong foreground interest is usually an essential compositional element in landscapes and especially sunset photographs. Failing to include foreground interest can mean vast empty areas of the frame in which the eye is lead aimlessly about looking for something to keep it interested. Foreground interest can vary from people to rocks or trees anything really.
It is for this reason that sunset images usually fail as truly dynamic images. Photographers need to be careful that they create art and not just copy it. Raising the camera to the eye and photographing the colourful sunset sky is hardly original and in fact it is generally really boring. It would be similar to photographing a painting and calling it your own. A sunset in itself is already a beautiful artwork and therefore little credit goes to the unimaginative photographer who simply takes a snap. The sunset therefore needs to work as a back drop to another perhaps even more dominant element within the frame such as a person a boat, rocks a building or anything that gives the image a slightly less cliché reason to exist.
Leading lines are also effective in making an image more interesting to the viewer. They can be found in rock formations, jetties, rivers, and other objects. You just need to use your imagination and get a little creative. These things can be used to lead the eye from the corner of the frame through the frame or to the subject. It helps create depth which is important not only in sunset images but in any landscape images in general. So next time you go to snap that sunset think about it first and try and include some other interest in the foreground to make an ordinary image into and extraordinary one.
SPECIAL EMAILS FROM FANS
Quite often I receive emails from people praising my work and sometimes asking me for advice which is really nice. I have had many since I got my website online but have only kept a couple which I just found in a folder. Here they are……….The very first email I ever received praising my work was from a guy named Kim who I have never met but now we keep in touch via email and have struck up a great friend ship. He is a pilot and occasionally sends me pics he has taken from the air.
Hi Julie, My name is Annie; a 15 year old wanna-be photography and I just want to tell you that you have inspired me! I love your work!! I scoured through the whole 'Australian Photography' Magazine trying to find the name of the photographer of the cover... only to find it on the second page this morning!! (September edition) I really love that photo!! Anyway - stop reading this and go outside with your camera! - Annie :D
Hi Julie,
Just wanted to send you a quick email letting you know I think you are an amazing photographer. Being a 32 year old high school teacher im not usually in the business of fan mail but your images are the best I have seen.
As a budding photographer I look at your pics and think "now how can I do that?". The only other photographer i've found myself asking the same questions about has been Steve Mc Curry.
Im definately interested in getting involved in one of your courses when you get them started up. I'll keep an eye on your website for dates etc.
Thanks dude, blew the better part of a Friday afternoon at school on your Photo stream. Stumbled across an image whilst checking out what was tagged 'Omeo'. Work was soon a unpleasant memory, fantastic images and processing you have inspired me.
and the latest:-
Hi Julie, I am writing to you for a couple of reasons. I have been frequently visiting your site for the past couple of years - mainly to view your progressive work. Firstly, i wanted to congratulate you on your photographic achievements to date. Your work is inspiring, and you capture Australian landscapes in a way that i have not seen before. You have a unique vision andstyle - and in my opinion i believe that you have set a new revolution in Australian landscape photography:-))
No comments:
Post a Comment