Sunday, March 30, 2008

CAPE LEVEQUE EASTER LONG WEEKEND







FRI 21ST

Cape Leveque-Easter long weekend

FUEL UNLEADED $1.62 A LITRE IN BROOME

Wow what a big weekend I had from heat exhaustion to dirt roads flowing like rivers it was fantastic and this time I actually took a few photos to show you all.

Here goes……………………………………..

I left Broome on Friday morning not knowing what to expect of the Cape Leveque road.
Carrying 30litres of extra fuel on board as I was not taking any chances this time round. The road was dry and had a few big pools of water to cross in places and so I knew what to expect. It was hot and humid and I was not looking forward to camping for the next 2 nights as I knew I would not sleep well unless their was a cool change in the evening (fat chance).The average temp out here is still around 35 degrees and the humidity is just feral, feral, feral. I am so over it at the moment and understand why they call this time of the year mango madness. Anyway enough negativity you want hear about some good stuff don’t you???

First stop Beagle Bay Church built in 1917 and was designed by father Thomas (great bloke) and built by 3 pioneer brothers and the aboriginals. The decorations are mother of pearl shells and cowries and were done over a 2 year period by father Droste some sisters and the aboriginals. All the shells were fished in local waters. The symbolism of the designs and both beautiful and inspiring. Apparently half the church collapsed and had to be rebuilt recently. This place is definitely worth seeing if you come out here.

Moving on it was time to head to Cape Leveque camp ground. I guess you could call this spot a resort but a low key one. They have a nice camp ground and lots of huts dotted around the area overlooking the water in most instances. You can see 2 huts in the top shot taken at swim beach. It is beautiful out here and not too expensive although it’s not peak season yet and they probably hike the prices up when it is. I paid $12 a night for a camp sight with showers and toilets. Out here that’s cheap although at Barn Hill it was only $8 a night. I quickly got my tent up so I could go and have a look around. As I was setting up there were others arriving also and I could see that it was going to be quite busy for the weekend. Once I was set up I headed over to the swim beach side and went for a bit of a walk to the coastline. The tide was high and it was pretty spectacular. I then drove around to the other side of the point along a rough but do-able track to the water. This is where all the red cliffs and rocks are. I ended up spending the rest of the afternoon laying in the back of Suzie with a cool breeze blowing through and it was over cast and not to hot by the water watching the ocean and dozing off and then going out along the beach with the cameras for sun set.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Julie

Well its good to hear from you again. Congratulations on the photography, the fans and the front covers... and your story. It sure is a great read.
Bet you love that large format stuff - I know my brother John did on the odd occasions he used it. I don't think he had the camera you are using as it was too expensive for his taste.
Hope the opportunity you mention turns out to be a good one for you.
Your blog is first class and I love your natural style of writing - it is like you were here telling me all about your trip.
I am absolutely so envious of your journey. As my health is deteriorating with these poor old lungs of mine I now have serious doubts as to what I will be capable of in the future. Time will tell.
Keep up the great work Julie and stay safe.
Fondest regards

Julie Fletcher said...

thanks Dave always enjoy hearing from you