




12 APRIL 08
GIEKIE GORGE YOURSELF
Up at sparrows fart and on the road at 5.30am (why do I do these things) heading to the fabulous Fitzroy Crossing four hours away. This is a dangerous section of road (especially when the suns burning holes in your retnas rising in the distance) there are cattle everywhere out here and I should not have spoken so soon as I came around a bend and 7 young brahmas were standing in the middle of the road. I slammed on the anchors to avoid impact and had to check my undies afterwards.
Once the pulse had reduced I was off again alert and eagle eyed for any other forms of wildlife on the road. As I was getting closer to Fitzroy I noticed the landscape start to change and saw my favourite trees the boabs dotted along the side of the road. This area really does get into your blood. It is hot and harsh out here but it so unique and beautiful.
Arriving at Fitzroy at about 9.45am I was in search of a man named Redbeard. Yes that’s his name and the picture you conjure up in your mind is probably pretty spot on.
I came to meet Red through making a phone enquiry to the visitors centre at Fitzroy about kayaking. Wendy gave me reds name and number and said that he was the bloke to speak to if I wanted to go kayaking on the gorge. So I gave him a tingle and he said come on down and join Fitzroy United Kayak Club.
Upon arrival at his abode there were a group of people sitting and waiting. I quickly introduced myself all round and then got my stuff organised and we were heading down to the gorge about a 15minute drive from town. Once there we unloaded the kayaks and put them in the water. It was a hot day but not as humid here. I had my camera on board in a waterproof bag and my little Olympus waterproof camera to play with. We headed up stream first to the most beautiful part of the gorge with its cut out rock formations and different colours. I had a really good look around and took a few photos. It was nice and cool under the undercut of the rock. We then parked the kayaks on a sandy area and went for a swim. The water was a nice temp. from here we headed down stream about 6 km and the terrain changed dramatically and the current became swift and we didn’t even have to paddle. We did have to navigate around trees and tree roots and a few embankments but it was a lot of fun. Once through the rough section we just floated down stopping a couple of times to get out and have a swim and a drink and im my case take some photos. What a life and a couple of the pics that I took of one the guys says it all. It was a really relaxing day on the water.
Red said I could stay in his caravan if I wanted too instead of camping so I accepted his offer. Later on in the arvo after coming back from kayaking Red showed me a few of the highlights of Fitzroy one of which was the original crossing over the river. I was amazed that vehicles made it over this crossing especially road trains. That evening it rained for a few hours and we were watching the lightning off in the distance. I had a quilt wrapped around me as I didn’t bring a jumper and it was freezing.
Red was telling me that he was going to be support crew for the Gibb River Mountains bike ride in a few weeks and I mentioned my interest in coming along if I was able. As the ride was heavily sponsored and they also had a fund raiser all expenses were covered including a caterer for all the meals at the camp spots along the way. Red said I was more than welcome to come along with him if I had that particular week off so I was keen to find out the dates I would be back in Broome. I said I would let him know if I could come when I confirmed the dates.
The next morning I went for a walk along the gorge and did a couple of videos of the area on my little camera. When I got back the neighbour was over and the 3 of us were having a chat about the highlights of Fitzroy. He suggested that I go and have a look at the old cemetery which was high on a bank by the river, the problem being that in a big wet season the river rose and the graves got washed away. He was telling that at one stage you could see feet sticking out of the ground. Well I thought that was hilarious and wanted to go and have a look myself for the feet. I got red to drive me down to the site and why they put a cemetery here I have no idea but anyway they had moved most of the bones to another location and there were no feet anywhere to be seen…bummer
Well that was the grand tour over and I decided it was time to head back to Broome before it got to late as I knew I was going to make a couple of stops on the way back to photograph boabs. I had a safe trip back to Broome but was very tired from the driving and lack of sleep in a strange place.
GIEKIE GORGE YOURSELF
Up at sparrows fart and on the road at 5.30am (why do I do these things) heading to the fabulous Fitzroy Crossing four hours away. This is a dangerous section of road (especially when the suns burning holes in your retnas rising in the distance) there are cattle everywhere out here and I should not have spoken so soon as I came around a bend and 7 young brahmas were standing in the middle of the road. I slammed on the anchors to avoid impact and had to check my undies afterwards.
Once the pulse had reduced I was off again alert and eagle eyed for any other forms of wildlife on the road. As I was getting closer to Fitzroy I noticed the landscape start to change and saw my favourite trees the boabs dotted along the side of the road. This area really does get into your blood. It is hot and harsh out here but it so unique and beautiful.
Arriving at Fitzroy at about 9.45am I was in search of a man named Redbeard. Yes that’s his name and the picture you conjure up in your mind is probably pretty spot on.
I came to meet Red through making a phone enquiry to the visitors centre at Fitzroy about kayaking. Wendy gave me reds name and number and said that he was the bloke to speak to if I wanted to go kayaking on the gorge. So I gave him a tingle and he said come on down and join Fitzroy United Kayak Club.
Upon arrival at his abode there were a group of people sitting and waiting. I quickly introduced myself all round and then got my stuff organised and we were heading down to the gorge about a 15minute drive from town. Once there we unloaded the kayaks and put them in the water. It was a hot day but not as humid here. I had my camera on board in a waterproof bag and my little Olympus waterproof camera to play with. We headed up stream first to the most beautiful part of the gorge with its cut out rock formations and different colours. I had a really good look around and took a few photos. It was nice and cool under the undercut of the rock. We then parked the kayaks on a sandy area and went for a swim. The water was a nice temp. from here we headed down stream about 6 km and the terrain changed dramatically and the current became swift and we didn’t even have to paddle. We did have to navigate around trees and tree roots and a few embankments but it was a lot of fun. Once through the rough section we just floated down stopping a couple of times to get out and have a swim and a drink and im my case take some photos. What a life and a couple of the pics that I took of one the guys says it all. It was a really relaxing day on the water.
Red said I could stay in his caravan if I wanted too instead of camping so I accepted his offer. Later on in the arvo after coming back from kayaking Red showed me a few of the highlights of Fitzroy one of which was the original crossing over the river. I was amazed that vehicles made it over this crossing especially road trains. That evening it rained for a few hours and we were watching the lightning off in the distance. I had a quilt wrapped around me as I didn’t bring a jumper and it was freezing.
Red was telling me that he was going to be support crew for the Gibb River Mountains bike ride in a few weeks and I mentioned my interest in coming along if I was able. As the ride was heavily sponsored and they also had a fund raiser all expenses were covered including a caterer for all the meals at the camp spots along the way. Red said I was more than welcome to come along with him if I had that particular week off so I was keen to find out the dates I would be back in Broome. I said I would let him know if I could come when I confirmed the dates.
The next morning I went for a walk along the gorge and did a couple of videos of the area on my little camera. When I got back the neighbour was over and the 3 of us were having a chat about the highlights of Fitzroy. He suggested that I go and have a look at the old cemetery which was high on a bank by the river, the problem being that in a big wet season the river rose and the graves got washed away. He was telling that at one stage you could see feet sticking out of the ground. Well I thought that was hilarious and wanted to go and have a look myself for the feet. I got red to drive me down to the site and why they put a cemetery here I have no idea but anyway they had moved most of the bones to another location and there were no feet anywhere to be seen…bummer
Well that was the grand tour over and I decided it was time to head back to Broome before it got to late as I knew I was going to make a couple of stops on the way back to photograph boabs. I had a safe trip back to Broome but was very tired from the driving and lack of sleep in a strange place.
1 comment:
top [url=http://www.001casino.com/]casino games[/url] coincide the latest [url=http://www.casinolasvegass.com/]las vegas casino[/url] free no consign hand-out at the chief [url=http://www.baywatchcasino.com/]no put bonus
[/url].
Post a Comment